THE History of Tremont Paint
Just two-years after emigrating to the United States, Esther and Isaac Lipton borrowed $500 from a collection of family members and opened a paint store on Tremont Avenue in the Bronx, New York.
It was 1907.
With Esther buying paint from brother Robert and Benjamin Moore and Isaac delivering it by rickshaw, Tremont Paint quickly outgrew its location original location and in 1910 the couple moved the store to the Bronx's Claremont Parkway, where Tremont Paint would prosper for the next 58-years.
Esther and Isaac Lipton, 1900
Esther, Isaac, Benjamin and Robert could not have known at that time that the relationship they formed over the counter of Tremont Paint would keep the families connected through their businesses for more than 112-years.
Ester and Isaac had two sons the older of which, Jack, began working behind the counter at Tremont Paint in 1925.
In 1958 Jack was joined behind the counter by his son William. Billy, to all who would know him. The two men working together for a decade before Tremont Paint would cross another bridge to a new generation.
Jack Lipton 1950's
By the late 1960’s the neighborhood around Tremont Paint became the poster child for the Bronx's urban blight. Looking for safer environs in which to work Billy moved Tremont Paint in 1968 to a location on Broadway in the Kingsbridge neighborhood of the Bronx.
In 1988 Billy was joined behind the counter by his son Mark, the pair working together until 1992 when Mark became the fourth generation of Lipton’s to lead Tremont Paint.
Billy Lipton 1974
During Mark’s tenure Tremont Paint maintained its status as one of New York’s premier independent paint retailers. But with none of the great-great-grandchildren of Ester and Isaac Lipton having interest in a career behind the counter, in October of 2019 Mark sold Tremont Paint to fellow New York City retailer, Janovic.
With Mark, the Lipton family had birthed its last paint dealer, ending the Lipton's 112-year history selling paint in the Bronx.
Mark Lipton 2020